Don’t Know Much About Roofing?
One of the smartest things you can do with your time is to focus all of your energy doing only the things that make you the most money.
- Focus on Strengths: The article begins by emphasizing the importance of concentrating on activities that are most profitable, suggesting that individuals should stick to what they do best.
- Leveraging Personal Relationships: It presents a scenario where a girlfriend wants to help her boyfriend’s roofing business by going door-to-door to secure potential leads, highlighting the role personal relationships can play in a business’s growth.
- No Technical Knowledge Required: The main thrust is that one doesn’t need in-depth knowledge about roofing to help with the business. The girlfriend’s lack of technical roofing knowledge is not a hindrance in her role.
- Role Clarity: The article clarifies that someone without technical knowledge can still contribute by being an ‘appointment setter,’ focusing on securing opportunities for the experts to follow up on.
- Efficiency in Roles: This approach allows each person to concentrate on what they’re good at. The boyfriend focuses on the technical aspect of roofing inspections, while the girlfriend secures the appointments.
- Script for Success: The article provides a specific script for the girlfriend to use when approaching potential clients, emphasizing the importance of clear, direct communication and setting expectations correctly.
- Handling Rejections: It acknowledges that not everyone will agree to an appointment and underscores the importance of moving on quickly from rejections to maximize efficiency.
- Memorable Mantra: The phrase “Some Will, Some Won’t, So What! Who’s Next?” is highlighted as a mantra to mentally deal with rejections and maintain momentum.
- Open Invitation for Guidance: The post-script (P.S.) invites readers who still have questions to reach out, indicating the author’s willingness to provide further assistance.
- Encouragement and Motivation: The closing remarks are encouraging, stressing that there is money to be made in this line of work and that one might as well be the one to make it. This point reinforces the overall motivational tone of the article.
I’m about to show you a letter from a very good girlfriend wanting to help her boyfriend out.
She’s willing to go door-to-door prospecting so he can get a few roofs to inspect.
She knows the secret (most girlfriends do)… you’re more likely to make money doing a roof inspection than sitting in front of the TV watching Sports Center for the third time today.
Wait! There’s a Problem.
There’s just one problem… she doesn’t know much about roofing.
That’s really not a problem at all if you handle it the right way. I’m going to let you read her letter first and then I’ll tell you how she can work around this problem.
Here’s the letter…
I plan to go knock doors with my boyfriend when the rain lets up.
I’ll try to get him on a few roofs so he can close the deal. I need to know exactly what to say to these people. I’ve never sold a thing in my life.
I figure it should be easy because these people in Louisiana need new roofs. We’re working damage from the Hurricane Isaac storm.
Any help? Please.
Some have hurricane damage and others have just wind damage. Most of the roofs are 3-tabs. Again, I don’t know much about roofs, but I know 3-tabs because my boyfriend loves that kind of roof.
Thanks a lot.
I’ll keep reading.
No Roofing, No Problem!
She thinks that the problem is that she doesn’t know much about roofing.
Actually, that’s not a problem at all because…
- She’s not a roofer.
- She won’t present herself as a roofer.
- She’s not going to be answering questions about roofing.
She’s An Appointment Setter
The only thing she wants to do is get her boyfriend up on a few roofs to inspect… that makes her an appointment setter. Whether she sets the appointment for right away or for the next day, her only job is to get her boyfriend up on the roof.
She’s going to open the door and he’s going to do the rest.
That’s perfect because it allows him to focus on what makes him the most money… meeting prospects!
Admit it, how many of you are jealous right now? Don’t you wish your girlfriend would go out and set appointments for you?
EXACTLY What To Say
Here it is, word-for-word, exactly what to say without knowing a thing about roofing…
Hi! I’m Mandy. I just came by to see if you’re still open to a free inspection/estimate on your roof? [PAUSE. ALLOW THEM TO ANSWER]
Have you had your free inspection/estimate yet? [PAUSE. ALLOW THEM TO ANSWER]
Well, I can’t do it now. I’m not even a roofer. [SMILE]
My boyfriend will be doing your free inspections. Would you prefer later this afternoon around 4 PM or would tomorrow at this same time work better for you? [WRITE DOWN THE APPOINTMENT]
Okay, thank you very much. [GO TO THE NEXT DOOR]
Move On Quickly
Obviously, not everybody is going to let you set an appointment. You’re not looking for the people who will set an appointment. So, move on quickly when you figure out the people in front of you are not interested. You can leave a business card, but don’t waste too much time.
Remember this phrase…
Some Will, Some Won’t, So What! Who’s Next?
P.S. If you’ve read this far and still have questions, take a minute to contact me and let’s see if we can’t clear things up. I want you to be successful in all of your prospecting. There’s money to be made. You may as well make it, right?