When You’re Hot, You’re Hot.
If you’ve ever been on a hot streak, you know exactly what I’m talking about… when you’re hot, you’re hot!
- The Phenomenon of Hot Streaks: The author opens by describing the feeling of being on a “hot streak” where a salesperson is unstoppable, everything they touch turns to gold, and they feel invincible, akin to a “Super Salesman.”
- Rejecting Mediocrity: The author criticizes those who settle for average performance, emphasizing a preference for striving for the top or learning from the bottom, identifying this drive as common among successful salespeople and entrepreneurs.
- Inconsistency of Sales: It’s highlighted that sales don’t occur uniformly but come in bunches, often unpredictably. The author argues against the notion of averaging out sales, pointing out the impracticality and inaccuracy of such a method.
- Cycles and Seasons in Sales: The article discusses the cyclical nature of sales, with ups and downs, good days and bad days, and even good years and bad years, akin to the various seasons of life.
- Leveraging Hot Streaks: The author proposes to teach readers how to leverage their hot streaks to maximize profits, setting the stage for this by acknowledging the inevitability of hard times.
- Predicting a Hot Streak: Hot streaks are unpredictable but tend to happen while actively working. The author stresses that one must be out in the field, engaged, and enthusiastic to hit a hot streak, drawing a parallel with weather forecasting based on observable conditions.
- Recognizing a Hot Streak: The article simplifies the recognition of a hot streak, stating it occurs after you’ve made your last sale. It uses the principle of motion, suggesting that a successful sales momentum tends to continue unless interrupted.
- Maximizing a Hot Streak: The author criticizes the complacency of stopping after achieving a bit of success. Instead, when on a hot streak, one should continue selling, likening the situation to continuing to play poker while you’re winning.
- Continued Effort During a Hot Streak: To make the most of a hot streak, the author advises staying in the field, making more calls, and seeking referrals. This period of high confidence and enthusiasm is contagious, helping to convert prospects into clients.
- Simplicity of the Concept: The article concludes by reiterating that maximizing a hot streak is as simple as continuing to work while you’re successful, capitalizing on the momentum, and not prematurely slowing down or stopping.
Nobody can stop you… and nothing can slow you down. Everything you touch turns to gold. You have the perfect answer for every objection… you set appointments left and right… and close every appointment.
Literally, you feel invincible… like Super Salesman! That’s a great feeling, isn’t it?
I can hear somebody saying right now, “Mike, I don’t worry about all that. I just go out there every day and do my best. It will all work out in the end if I keep plugging away.”
I really wanted to say “STUPID!”, but let’s stick with “BORING!” because I want to give these guys the benefit of the doubt.
I’ve never been one to go for average. I’m always standing on my toes reaching for the top or trying to figure out how to dig my way out of the bottom. It is probably a personality type… one that I’ve found a lot of successful roofing salesmen and entrepreneur’s have in common.
People who go for average, will take their total sales for the month and divide by 30. Listen, both of us know that if you sold 10 roofs last month and divide by 30 that you come up with .333333333 roofs sold per day. My question to you is, “Who sells .333333333 roofs a day? Nobody!”
If the guy going for average would be honest with himself, he’d admit that he sells in hot streaks like the rest of us. Sales come in bunches. You may not sell anything for a solid week and then turn around and sell 7 in the next 3 days. That’s the way this works… Am I Right?
Sales Cycles and Seasons
In a minute, I’m going to tell you how to leverage your hot streaks by squeezing ’em for every last dollar. You want to know how to push your profits to new record highs, but first let’s set the foundation by talking briefly about the cycles of life…
Selling, like so many other things in life, goes in cycles. There’s ups and downs. Good days and bad days. Good months and bad months. There’s even good years and bad years.
Just like there’s hot streaks, there’s also cold streaks. Have you ever had a day when things went so terribly wrong that you wish you would’ve never gotten out of bed? How about a week when everything in your life fell apart? Hey, I’ve had seasons in my life when my closest family members either got terribly sick or even died… like dominoes falling one immediately after the other.
I don’t know why life happens in cycles, but I’m learning how to take advantage of this rule… most of the time… and I want to share what I know with you. I want you to make more money because you’ll need to take care of your friends and family when the hard times come… and they will come… if they haven’t already.
I’m going to tell you the 3 things you need to know about hot streaks…
- How To Predict A Hot Streak
- How To Recognize A Hot Streak
- How To Maximize A Hot Streak
How To Predict A Hot Streak
The cycles and seasons of life are hard to predict… you almost don’t even know it is happening until you’re right in the middle of it. It just hits you all at once… and you realize, you’re on a hot streak.
You know that the weatherman puts out predictions about tomorrow’s weather based on certain things happening in the atmosphere that they can observe. Now, they don’t always get it right… sometimes they don’t even come close, but at least they’ve got a good guess.
By using the same technique, observing certain things going on in the life of a salesperson, we can begin to forecast a hot streak…
There is 1 thing about predicting a hot streak that we know for absolutely sure… 100% positive… never fails…
Hot streaks in selling always happen while you’re out working. You never hit a hot streak sitting on the sofa… never happens when you’re taking the day off. If you want to get on a hot streak, you have to be out working… and there’s only 3 times when you’re really working.
Hot streaks in selling tend to happen when you’re plugged in and enthusiastic about your job. How do you get enthusiastic? The answer is simple, act enthusiastic!
How To Recognize A Hot Streak
Simple. You’re on a hot streak after you’ve made you’re last sale.
Let me throw some high school science at you.. “An object in motion stays in motion unless acted upon an equal or greater force.”
How many drops of rain does it take before it’s raining… just one. How many sales does it take before you’re selling… just one.
The way to recognize that you’re in a hot streak is by understanding that anytime you accomplish in sales what you set out to accomplish, you’re on a hot streak.
Congratulations! Now, what do you do about it?
How To Maximize A Hot Streak
Here’s where things break down for Mr. Average… after they just closed their last deal.
They sit back and think, “Hey! I’ve had a good day so far and I’m way above my goal of selling .33333333 jobs per day. I better chill out and save some of my energy for tomorrow.”
Can I just tell you one more time, that’s just about as stupid as stupid gets!
When you’re on a hot streak (and you’re on a hot streak immediately after you set your last appointment or closed your last deal), you want to MAXIMIZE that sucker for all it’s worth.
Now is not the time to call it a day and go home. Now is not the time to go back to the office and shuffle some paperwork. Now is not the time to call Mom… if you’re like I am, you call your Mom when you need encouragement.
Imagine you’re sitting around playing poker with your friends… do you walk away when you’re winning all the hands? Do you get up from the table after a couple great hands and say, “That’s it for me boys. I’m taking it to the house.”
No, you maximize that sucker for all it’s worth. You sit there and play your hands until the streak is over… or until your friends all get up and decide to call it a night. You play as long and as hard as you can while you’re winning.
Nobody goes home while they’re winning!
Maximize your hot streaks by staying out in the field, knocking on the next door, calling back your last estimate, asking for more referrals. Your enthusiasm is high and will only get higher. Your prospects become clients because they feel your confidence.
You maximize a hot streak by continuing to work while you’re hot.